Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Technokiddies

I love technology! I'm a tech junkie. I just wish my budget could keep up with my desire for new toys. Who knows, maybe some day.

Cell phones are wonderful inventions. They allow you to be connected virtually anywhere. If you're driving out in the middle of no where and your car breaks down, you don't have to wait for random stranger to take pity on you, you just ring up AAA and they'll come and rescue you.

The Hurricane is learning how to use the phone...

I'll let that hang out there for a second...

The Hurricane is learning how to use the phone, my wife's cell phone.

My wife's cell phone with me on speed dial #2. (#1 being the obligatory voice mail shortcut). I used to expect maybe one call a day from my wife. I also expected it to be her on the other end. Now when the name Jen pops up on my screen I have to ask myself, "Myself, is that Jen or is that the Hurricane?" Most of the time it will be... The Hurricane, just calling to say "Hi, Daddy". OR if he really wants to depress me, he says, "Hi, Dad."

First let me say this; what's up with this "Dad" stuff? He's my little boy, he's my baby, he's only supposed to call me Daddy! He's not supposed to be growing up, he's supposed to stay 5 forever, right!

Well, I know it will never happen, and he's going to grow up, but I don't have to be happy about it. Next thing you know he's going to be asking for the keys to the car to go on his first real date. I don't think I could handle that. It's not like I have girls and can at least place the fear of God Almighty in the boyfriends when they show up at the door.

I digress.

I'm glad my son loves me enough to want to talk to me regularly. That is important to me. It goes back to promises I made to my wife before we got married. I told her that I would never work a job that got in the way of my family. I would never be like my father, who I've never met, or like a lot of my friends fathers who they may as well have never met, because they were never home. I was determined that she would not be a work widow and my kids, when we had them, would know that their daddy loved them, not because of the money that the family had, but because I would take less money to spend time with them.

Now, even when I am at work and I'm away from them, the Hurricane calls me and lets me know that he misses me and loves me. THAT, my friends, makes every sacrifice I make in life for them worth everything.

Dive Deep!

No comments: