Monday, June 25, 2007

In Perpituity

Many people laugh at me when I tell them that I am a wrestling fan. More so in times past than I am now, but I remain a fan.

Today one of my favorite wrestlers and his family were found dead at their home in Atlanta.

Chris Benoit was a great wrestler. There was really no one else like him. He gave 100%, 100% of the time. Even when he wasn't a face, I liked him. He was, probably, the greatest wrestler to this point in history.

I know from interviews and what not that he adored his family. Today, they died, as they lived, together. I'm saddened for the extended families and the friends. I didn't know him. I don't know if I would have liked him or not, I don't know.

However, he has entertained me for years and now I am sad that he will no longer be able to do that for me and the fans that he loved.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent a little. Chris, Nancy and Daniel Benoit, we shall miss you.

**Update**
As more information about this incident come to light, I feel that I have to append this post. While nothing can lessen the achievements of Chris Benoit in the ring, I must change my stance on his family.

Here are the things I don't understand:
  1. How do you look into your 7 year old's eyes and kill him? I have a 6 year old. When I look at him, I see all of the things he could be. All of the things that would make him better than me. It's my job to make sure he is in an environment that will allow him to reach his full potential. I could never do anything to hurt him, much less take his life.
  2. How do you do the same thing with your wife? The woman who you loved enough to want to grow old with. The woman who went through child birth to give you your spitting image. I don't understand that.
  3. How do you then take your own life? Call me a coward, but I don't think I could ever get to the point where I would seriously consider it.

As I watched the tribute to Chris Benoit last night on Monday Night Raw, I saw many wrestlers give testimony on how he effected their lives. There were a couple that were very heart warming, and a couple that were actually very revealing of the man who killed his 7 year old son, his wife and ultimately himself.

When Chavo Guerrero spoke about finding his uncle Eddie's body and then spending time with Chris before their deaths and how both men effected his life and how Chris wasn't just like family to him, he was family. That was touching.

When Dean Melenko spoke of how private and how quite Chris was, it was telling.

I don't know what happened to Chris. I don't know what he was going through personally. I don't know if there were outside influences (drugs, alcohol) involved in his decision making. Truly, I don't know.

I also don't know where he stood spiritually, I didn't know the man, but his actions give clues, even if they don't speak the whole story. When Eddie Guerrero died, he died a Christian. He had given his life to Christ a couple of years earlier and he was living for Christ. When Road Warrior Hawk died, he died a Christian. I don't know about Chris Benoit, but his actions say he was not. I don't know this for certain, I am not his judge, I will not make the judgement. Saying that, I hope that there is mercy shown to him, just as I hope that there is mercy shown to me for my mistakes.

Anyway. Chris, you murdering fool, may God have mercy on your soul.

No comments: